Broccoli salad is a healthy and flavorful dish that is easy to prepare and packed with nutritious ingredients. With its fresh and crunchy texture, broccoli salad is a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet while satisfying your cravings for something delicious and satisfying.
Whether you’re looking for a light and refreshing side dish or a hearty and filling meal option, broccoli salad is a versatile dish that can be customized to your taste preferences and dietary needs
Table of Contents
How to make Vegetarian Broccoli Salad?
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by washing the broccoli and trimming off the stems. Cut the florets into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the sliced red onion, raisins, sunflower seeds, and chopped almonds to the bowl. Mix everything until evenly combined.
3. Whisk together the Greek yogurt, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir until everything is coated.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To give it extra flavour and texture, you can add other ingredients to this salad, such as diced apples or shredded carrots.
- If you don’t have Greek yoghurt, you can substitute mayonnaise or sour cream.
- This salad can be made a day in advance, but adding the dressing just before serving is best to keep the ingredients from getting too soggy.
Benefits of Broccoli Salad:
Broccoli is a nutrient-dense vegetable high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is low in calories and fat, making it an excellent choice for those looking to maintain a healthy weight. Some key nutrients in broccoli include vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium. These nutrients have been shown to have a range of health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease, improving bone health, and supporting immune function.
In addition to the benefits of broccoli, the other ingredients in this salad are also nutritious. Sunflower seeds and almonds are high in healthy fats and protein, while raisins add natural sweetness and fiber. Greek yoghurt is a great source of probiotics, which can help improve digestion and boost immune function.
Here is the approximate nutritional information for a serving of vegetarian broccoli salad (based on the ingredients listed in the recipe):
Take To Prepare
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes (including 30 minutes for chilling in the refrigerator)
- Servings: 4
This recipe doesn’t involve cooking, so the cooking time is zero. The preparation time is approximately 15 minutes, and it takes 30 minutes to chill the salad in the refrigerator before serving. This recipe yields four servings.
What goes in a broccoli salad?
A broccoli salad usually includes chopped broccoli florets and other ingredients such as onions, raisins or cranberries, nuts or seeds, and a dressing. Some recipes may include other vegetables, such as carrots or bell peppers.
How healthy is broccoli salad?
Broccoli is a highly nutritious vegetable with vitamins, minerals, and fibre. Broccoli salad can be a healthy and satisfying meal option when combined with other healthy ingredients such as nuts, seeds, and a low-fat dressing. However, it’s important to be mindful of the amount of added sugars and fats in the salad dressing, as these can add extra calories and detract from the overall nutritional value of the dish.
How to make broccoli salad?
To make broccoli salad, start by washing and trimming a head of broccoli and chopping the florets into bite-sized pieces. Add the broccoli to a large mixing bowl and other ingredients such as onions, raisins or cranberries, nuts or seeds, and a dressing. Mix everything until evenly combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
Can I eat broccoli instead of salad?
Broccoli can be a healthy and nutritious alternative to traditional leafy green salads. Broccoli is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber and can be enjoyed raw or cooked in various dishes. Consider pairing raw broccoli with other raw vegetables, nuts, and seeds for a nutrient-packed salad, or roast or sauté broccoli as a side dish to pair with your favorite protein.
Why does my broccoli salad get watery?
Broccoli has a high water content, sometimes resulting in excess liquid in the salad. To prevent this, thoroughly dry the broccoli after washing, and use a dressing that is not overly watery.
You can also consider adding other ingredients that absorb excess moisture, such as nuts or seeds. If your broccoli salad still seems too watery, try chilling it in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving, as this can help to thicken the dressing and reduce excess moisture.
If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious vegetarian salad option, a broccoli salad is great. This salad is easy to make, packed with nutrients, and can be customized to your taste preferences. Whether looking for a side dish for your next dinner party or a quick and healthy lunch option, this vegetarian broccoli salad will surely be a hit.