Weight Watchers is a well-known and reputable weight loss program that has been around for several decades. The program has helped millions lose weight and improve their health and wellness. One of the key aspects of the program is making healthy food choices that are satisfying and delicious. In this blog post, we will explore a classic Weight Watchers recipe for chicken salad and share some tips for making it even more delicious and nutritious.
First, let’s talk about the benefits of chicken salad. Chicken is a lean protein low in fat and calories but high in essential nutrients like protein, vitamins, and minerals. When combined with fresh vegetables, herbs, and a light dressing, chicken salad can be a healthy and satisfying meal for any time of day.
The Weight Watchers chicken salad recipe is a classic that members of the program have enjoyed for many years. Here’s the recipe:
Table of Contents
How to make weight watchers chicken salad?
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- Two tablespoons of reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine the cooked and shredded chicken, chopped celery, red onion, green bell pepper, and fresh parsley in a large mixing bowl.
2. Whisk the lemon juice, reduced-fat mayonnaise, salt, and black pepper until smooth in a separate small mixing bowl.
3. Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetable mixture and toss gently to combine.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
5. Serve cold as a sandwich, wrap, or on a bed of lettuce for a lighter option.
Now that you have the basic recipe let’s discuss some ways to improve it.
Add some crunch
Adding some texture is one way to make your chicken salad more interesting. Add chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans for a nutty crunch. You could add some diced apple, cucumber, or jicama for a refreshing crunch that pairs well with the chicken.
Mix up the greens
Instead of serving your chicken salad on a bed of lettuce, try mixing in different greens like arugula, spinach, or kale. These greens will add some extra nutrients and flavor to your salad, making it more satisfying.
Swap out the mayonnaise
While reduced-fat mayonnaise is a good option for reducing your chicken salad’s calorie and fat content, there are other options to consider. Greek yogurt, hummus, or mashed avocado are all healthy alternatives that can add a creamy texture and a boost of nutrition to your salad.
Try different seasonings
While the classic Weight Watchers chicken salad recipe uses lemon juice, salt, and black pepper for seasoning, many other options exist. Try adding some fresh herbs like basil, cilantro, or mint for a burst of flavor. You could also experiment with spices like cumin, curry powder, or paprika for a more complex flavor profile.
Add some fruit
Fruit can be a delicious and unexpected addition to chicken salad. Add some diced mango, pineapple, or grapes for a sweet, tangy flavor that pairs well with the chicken. You could also add some dried fruit like cranberries, raisins, or apricots for a chewy texture and a pop of sweetness.
Take To Prepare
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes (for cooking the chicken)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4-6 servings (depending on serving size)
How To Store And Freeze
If you have leftovers of Weight Watchers chicken salad or you want to prepare it in advance, here are some tips on how to store and freeze it:
- If you have any leftover chicken salad, transfer it to an airtight container.
- Place the container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- When you’re ready to eat, stir the chicken salad to redistribute the dressing before serving.
- If you want to prepare the chicken salad in advance and freeze it, only add the dressing to the chicken and vegetables once you’re ready to eat it. The sauce can break down and make the salad soggy if stored in the freezer.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag, removing as much air as possible.
- Label the container or bag with the date and contents.
- Place the container or bag in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
- Thaw the chicken salad overnight in the refrigerator when you’re ready to eat.
- Once it’s thawed, add the dressing and any additional ingredients you’d like, such as nuts or fruit.
- Give the chicken salad a good stir to ensure everything is well combined before serving.
- Following these storage and freezing tips, you can enjoy your Weight Watchers chicken salad anytime, whether you have leftovers or want to prepare it in advance for a quick and easy meal.
best health benefits
Weight Watchers chicken salad is not only a delicious and satisfying meal, but it also offers several health benefits. Here are some of the best health benefits of this dish:
High in protein:
Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, essential for building and repairing muscles, supporting healthy bones, and maintaining a healthy weight. Including chicken in your diet can also help reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses.
Low in calories and fat:
This chicken salad recipe is designed to be low in calories and fat, making it an ideal meal for those looking to lose or maintain a healthy weight. Using skinless, boneless chicken breasts, nonfat Greek yogurt, and a light dressing, this salad is satisfying and filling without packing unnecessary calories or fat.
Rich in vitamins and minerals:
The vegetables in this chicken salad, such as celery, carrots, and red onions, are rich in vitamins and minerals essential for good health. These nutrients can help support healthy digestion, reduce inflammation, and boost the immune system.
Versatile and customizable:
This chicken salad recipe is easily customized based on your preferences and dietary needs. For example, add or remove ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit, or avocado to suit your taste. You can also adjust the amount of dressing or use a different type of sauce, depending on your dietary goals.
Are chicken salads good for weight loss?
Chicken salads can be a good option for weight loss, as they are typically low in calories and protein. Chicken is a lean protein source that can help keep you full and satisfied, aiding in weight loss efforts.
However, it’s important to be mindful of the other ingredients in the salad, such as the dressing and any additional toppings, as these can add extra calories and fat. Choosing a light sauce and adding plenty of vegetables can help keep the calorie count low while providing plenty of flavor and nutrition.
Is chicken salad a fatty food?
The fat content of chicken salad can vary depending on the ingredients used and the recipe. However, chicken salad can be a low-fat meal option if made with skinless, boneless chicken breasts, nonfat Greek yogurt, and a light dressing.
It’s important to be mindful of the type and amount of dressing used, as many sauces can be high in fat and calories. Choosing a light bandage or making your own with healthy fats, such as olive oil or avocado, can help keep the fat content of the salad in check.
How many people will 1lb of chicken salad feed?
The number of people that 1lb of chicken salad will feed will depend on the serving size and appetite of the individuals. Generally, 1lb of chicken salad should provide 4-6 people, assuming a serving size of approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cups per person. However, if serving larger portions or the chicken salad is the main dish, you may need to adjust the amount accordingly. It’s always better to err on caution and prepare a little extra, as leftover chicken salad can be stored and enjoyed for a quick and easy meal later.
grilled chicken salad weight watchers, points
The number of Weight Watchers points in a grilled chicken salad will depend on the specific recipe and ingredients. However, here is an example of a grilled chicken salad recipe that is low in points:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken for 6-8 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Let chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing it into strips.
- Divide mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion between four plates.
- Top each dish with shredded chicken.
- Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette over each plate.
In conclusion, Weight Watchers chicken salad is a healthy and delicious meal with several health benefits. Its high protein content, low calorie and fat count, and rich nutrient content can be an ideal option for those looking to maintain a healthy weight or lose weight.
Chicken salad is versatile and customizable, making it easy to adjust based on individual taste preferences and dietary needs. By incorporating this dish into your diet, you can enjoy a satisfying and nutritious meal to help you stay on track with your health and wellness goals.